Inspiring History

The history of the area dates back to the very beginning of the twentieth century, to the foundation of the Pragovka’s automotive factory and its legendary Praga Brand. After World War I, the factory became a part of ČKD corporation, the largest engineering manufacturer in the country in those times, operating until 1989. E-Factory was the central part of the facility serving as an administration building for the whole operation.

1907

Establishment of “Pražská továrna na automobily spol. s r.o.”, employing 30 workers. At this time, the
Czech automobile industry was only in its infancy, the number of cars in Prague was easily counted with
fingers of both hands. Two years later, in 1909, the car brand Praga was created, named after a Latin
expression of city Prague, to sound more international.

1911 - 1927

During the WWI. the factory supplied the Austro-Hungarian army and thanks to this cooperation, a production capacity in these years had increased. After the war, Pragovka had managed to move quickly to civilian car production and win over the competition. By launching new types of passenger cars the factory became a leading automaker. One of the most famous cars is, for example, the Praga Piccolo, which had earned its reputation as the most beautiful car at the exhibition in Geneva.

1930 - 1939

After the WWI the company became the largest car manufacturer in Czechoslovakia which produced brands such as Praga, Škoda and Tatra, well known under the famous abbreviation ČKD, with over 3500 workers. The current area of Pragovka Art District was built between 1931–1933, the building with a significant name E Factory was designed by Josef Kalous and was used as a central warehouse of the Ministry of Post and Telegraphs.

1940 - 1949

Meanwhile Praga gradually, expanded the production programme to trucks and off-road vehicles, motorcycles, tracked tractors, artillery tractors, tanks, aircraft, engines and transmissions manufacture.  Allied air raid on March 25th, 1945 virtually destroyed the entire plant. The buildings restored were refurbished and used by ČKD Sokolov, which was later divided into a locomotive and compressors. During the WWII the current area of Pragovka Art District has been used as an aircraft factory for the Junkers company, after the war the area has been returned to the Ministry of Post but soon after it has been confiscated and the serial production of ČKD started.

1950 - 2004

E Factory became a part of Praga company raising the building by another frame structure, serving as a
control hall for the production of components manufactured within the plant. The building has been
preserved authentic and has been listed since 2003.

2009 - Present

Now this area is turning into a modern, dynamic district inspired by its industrial heritage. The former
factory hall has turned into a center of art, design and business professionals from various areas,
organizing commercial events, exhibitions, concerts and other cultural activities.